This recipe uses store-bought shortbread cookies (the same ones that we used for our chocolate mousse cake and our Pudding Parfait) as a base for a lemon curd. Lemon curd is made by mixing sugar, egg yolks, butter, and lemon juice over a double boiler, so we easily adapted a standard recipe. After pouring the lemon curd over the shortbread, we refrigerated the combination to make fantastic dorm room lemon bars.
Light and refreshing they will bring a touch of sunshine to any winter's day. Have fun!
1. Wrap shortbread cookies with aluminum foil, leaving about 1/2 an inch on all edges to keep lemon curd on cookie
2. Squeeze juice from lemons
3. Combine yolk, lemon juice, and sugar in bowl of double boiler. Stir frequently until mixture thickens, and coats the back of a spoon (about 8 min)
4. Move liquid into larger bowl. Add butter, 1 tsp at a time and whisk until melted completely.
5. Let cool and refrigerate until curd is thick
6. Pour curd over shortbread and refrigerate bars for at least a day. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy